Tuesday, December 30, 2008

My Backpack


Yesterday, I finally bought the backpack that I shall live out of for the next six months. Jess gave me a gift certificate to the local camping store in town. I was shopping for a mid-sized pack, about 40-55 liters. Anything smaller just wouldn't be enough for me to comfortably live out of and anything lager would just be too inconvenient. Sadly, there was nothing in the range for which I was searching. They had 32 liter and smaller bags and 65 liter and above bags. So, I went for 65 liter pack with the best value.

It is a really nice pack, lots of room, front loading, has a zip off day-pack, and a flap to protect the straps when checking it in for flights. It was a much fancier pack than I really wanted though. Many of the online backpacker sites recommend that solo travelers should buy an adequate pack, but nothing too fancy. One does not want to give a derelict image, or you'll be shunned as a vagrant bum. At the same time, you should not have a really ritzy pack or you'll give the image of having lots of money and will thus become thief bait. I doubt that this pack will make me too much of a target, but I was hoping for something a little less nice. Overall, it is a great pack that I can bring home with me and use for a lifetime. Nothing is worse than camping out a suitcase, so having a good backpack will be helpful.

No comments: