Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Boots and Bonnets

After a lifetime of living with a certain car anatomy, even a few months have not gotten me acquainted with certain aspects of the automotive world. Driving has become ok, since my first stressful excursion, I no have trouble driving here; though, I've yet to drive on any multi-lane roundabouts. I may just navigate myself around such a prospect. The big problem for me, is that I keep walking over to the passenger side to drive. I had Jess's car the other day. Her key only works in the drivers side. After leaving the store, I tried unlocking the door and it wouldn't work. I sat there trying to figure what was wrong, then I realized I wasn't even on the drivers side! I do this daily.

The other thing that I find hard to get used to is the boot and bonnet thing. We call it the trunk and the hood. Now, granted, hoods and bonnets are both worn of the head, so that isn't too silly. But boots are on the feet, trunks are pants. Now I think the Aussie's names are a bit more sensible than ours, but it is still weird. Every time I say trunk or hood, it just a further reminder that I'm not from here. It has been three months, but old habits and words die hard. When you have been used to something being only one way, a sudden reversal, is hard, especially when it all looks the same anyway. It is still a car. Adjustments take time, especially when you work on autopilot.

No comments: