Thursday, December 25, 2008

Boxing Day

Well, today is my first ever Boxing Day. A quick poll of the Aussies on what Boxing Day is about yielded some blank looks. Apparently here, it is just a day off with lots of sales.

Boxing Day is British holiday to recognize those servants who've given their time to you throughout the year. Well, most people don't have servants anymore, so that part gets a little lost. I believe the Brits like to give gifts to their mailman and others today. It is celebrated in Australia, New Zealand, England, and Canada. Maybe some other, less important countries recognize it, I'm not sure.

It started with something St. Stephen did before he got stoned. I'm sure googling it will tell more. I read it last night, but found I really didn't care. Today is just a day off with lots of sales anyway.

No comments: