Sunday, December 28, 2008

Aussie Slang: C**t

It is often hard to adjust to the slang of a different place. Most of the time, my difficulty has come from not knowing the meanings of certain words. If they seem amusing enough, they often end up here on this blog. Sometimes though, there are slang words that have very well known meanings, people just don't use them everywhere.

The first time I heard an Aussie drop the C-bomb, I windged, literally. It is one of those words I really don't like. I could not believe how casually it was uttered. Some Aussies really love the word, especially after a few beers. C**t this. That c**t! She's a c**t. If George Carlin was Aussie, the word might not have even made his seven dirty words.

In the states, there are really only two words that most people don't say, c**t and n!**er. Not to say that we don't have other curse words, but really, at least amongst the young crowd, people really don't care that much. Aussies still have the concept of curse words. If you said f**k around your grandma, ít would not be too respected. The Aussies however have successfully taken the power out of another word.

And really this is what curse words are about. They should not exist. I am not offended by swearing because I don't like to give that much power to a word. The more hung up and uptight people get with swearing, the more power the word gets. If we take the power away, stop caring, people would really stop using the words. Either that or start yelling Winnebago when they stub their toe.

And to those smartasses that want to point out that I just wrote the above paragraph, but still managed to censor the word c**t and n***er; my grandma might be reading this yo. You don't swear in front of your grandma, especially not a word like c**t!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the word cunt! You should really pick it up. ;)

-Andrea