Friday, December 19, 2008

The Turning Point

It is sometimes amazing how quickly things can change. Three weeks ago, I was planning on working off and on in Broken Hill, taking a couple weeks here and there to see a city or two and visit Jess's relatives. Now, everything is completely different. It started as merely a thought and now it has snowballed into a full blown plan. Starting in either February or March, I shall go vagrant.


I am going to don a backpack and start seeing Australia by foot (but mostly by train pass). I will stay in hostels, pick fruits, and make random friends with like-minded young travelers. Armed with only a copy of the collected works of Jack London and Jack Keroac's On the Road to comfort me, I will take off on my own and see the world...and pick fruit. It will be a lot like First Blood, the first Rambo movie, minus the whole survivalist murder spree. The only problem is, can you imagine me, Aaron White, being able to leave so many variables to chance? Can anyone imagine me, becoming completely disconnected from the stability of an established home for any length of time? I can't either and that is beauty of this trip.


The main things worrying me are: money, which I have plenty of; being out and about alone, which is not true either, there are numerous forums for other people planning on touring Australia, often getting together for small chunks of time; safety, Australia is a very safe place for this type of travel; work, aforementioned fruit picking; transportation, 6 month unlimited rail pass, $500; safety net, Jess has family and friends all over Australia who would be there for me in case of emergency. Really, the only thing I have to fear is fear itself (thanks FDR). I will not be doing this rashly. I am going to read all I can and get memberships to hostel systems around the country. Someone will know where I am at all times. I have health insurance.


This is a direct tackling of my fear of loneliness. I love the security of friends and family and I find it hard to be on my own. No, this is not a quick fix to my problems, but instead a big challenge for me to help myself grow as a person. The plan is to do four months, Feb or March until May or June. Work a little, tour a little, live my life, and most of all have some fun seeing this gorgeous, massive country.


I just booked a one-week trip to Tasmania in May, so I've already doubly committed myself; I will be going to Tasmania from Sydney, so I have to be in Sydney on the departure date. If anyone has experiences, tips, high-fives, or cross-armed head shakes, don't be afraid to email me or post on this blog.

Australia shall truly now become an Adventure!

2 comments:

Paul said...

Are you aware that you have a cousin in Perth?

Aaron's Assonant Adventures Abroad said...

I've heard a mention of something along those lines. I will be in Perth next month, maybe I'll invite them out for dinner or something. Do they have an email?