Thursday, January 1, 2009

A New Year

Ah, the new year is upon us. We've reached that fateful day when you take the calendar off the wall and chuck it in a box someplace cause you just don't have the heart to throw away the pictures.

I rang in the new year in a much different fashion this year. After years of hosting New Years Eve parties, it was odd to be working while others are celebrating. That's right, I worked a shift cooking at the Royal, followed by washing glasses for 2.5 hours at the Astra. Thankfully it was a slow night, so I was able to hit up a party at one. For once, I was decently close (if you want to consider 800 miles close) from the world famous Sydney New Years celebration at the harbor, but was not able to see it. Oh well, this will just give me another excuse to visit Australia again.

I doubt I will miss 2008 much. This has been an intense year for me in so many ways. Now, don't get me wrong, I had a lot of good times. I discovered my love for karaoke and had many a great night singing. For the first time in years, I met some really good new friends both home (shouts out to the Gallardos, Caleb, Laura, Stephanie, Ben, Leah, Emily, Steve, Dan, Jacob, and anyone else not directly written on this list) and away (shouts to Kat, Stefen, Jon, Em, Tay, Nick, Pennie, Mitch, Leigh, Ryan, and the many other friendly faces that aren't listed here, but not from lack of love). I saw casual friendships blossom into what will hopefully be lifetime friendships (no direct shouts here, you know who you are). Most importantly, I was adopted into another great family that I care about a lot. I survived living nine months in the ghetto. I got a big promotion at my job and made the jump to do something I never thought I could. Actually, I think this summer was one of the happiest of my entire life. I was enjoying the company of those I care about so much because I knew I was leaving in September.

On the other side, I've had my fair share of crap this year. I lived in the ghetto for nine months and got myself mugged in my own backyard. Then had the landlords try to sue me when I moved out because I didn't feel safe. I saw one of the people I care about most in the world hop on a plane and fly away. Then I hopped on a plane myself to fly 10,000 miles away from all my friends and family for a year. I experienced my first real heartbreak.

It is a really bad practice to look back on the year and tally the ups and downs and try to label the year as good or bad. Though, here I find myself doing it once again, only this time publicly (deal with it). Much like changing the calendar, this is something I do every year. Honestly though, I don't think I've ever really had a good year of my life. At the same time, I don't think I've really ever had a bad one either. My good and bad lists always seem to be about the same length. The new year is supposed to be new beginning, but really it is only the number that is changing. Life is just life. And as much as when you look back and sometimes just want to chuck the year into the garbage, you can't, cause you just don't have the heart to throw away the experiences.

2 comments:

Paul said...

Sounds like your learning that all experiences are good, because you experienced them and because of what they yield.

Anonymous said...

Like the pretty pictured wall treasures, personal "calendars" are also tough to trash. A lot goes into a year, into a life, into molding time. One of my faults is in living "one day at a time." So much so I find it superstitious to peek at a calendar page before its time. I love each new day, and especially Mondays and new calendar pages. Some of my faults. JGW