Sunday, January 18, 2009

First Two Days in Perth

Perth is a fantastic city. Yeah, I've only been here two days, so I may be jumping the gun, but I really love it here. First off, it is absolutely gorgeous here. Located on the Swan River, Perth has ample water and covered in trees. There is a national forest right in the city. Erin lives way out of town in the middle of the woods. Her suburb is a lot like Wayzata, only not full of rich people. I took a walk around the area and fell in love with it. It is way out of town, but the seclusion and beauty make up for that.

Our first day was quite relaxed; we mainly sat around and enjoyed a few beers by a nearby lake. By four, we all fell asleep from the beers and the hot sun. I awoke nearly five hours later (don't underestimate the crappiness of sleeping in a seat for two nights). We enjoyed a quiet barbie and hit the sack early.

Day two was more active. I awoke and did my morning exercises, then headed for a walk. After I returned, Damian, Chevy, Erin and I headed for a a drive to the Indian Ocean. Let's say that it was quite exciting to come over the hill for my first glimpse of a new ocean. The Indian has an incredibly dark blue color.

We started at Hilary beach. After a huge buffet (I tried my first taste of kangaroo and emu. The kangaroo was ok, but it was bascially gamey, red meat, kinda like bear. The emu rissoles were delicious. The meat had the tenderness of bird meat, with the flavor of a red meat), we walked to the beach for a swim.

I bobbed for a while in the water and the first big wave knocked my sunnies off my face. After a bit of searching, I still couldn't find them. I couldn't believe they wouldn't stay on my face. They were the tight fitting kind that barely move, even when I'm jumping up and down. There were women with double D's and a bikini made of two sugar packets and some fishing line who could keep their boobs contained, but I couldn't keep my sunglasses on my face. We went to another beach with waves three times the size. Damian had his sunglasses ripped off, but he found his in a quick 30 seconds. My are probably out there, providing eye protection for some shark someplace.

The second beach was amazingly fun. The wave were 2-3 meters high and just bowled you over. They were so strong that a wrong leg positioning could have resulted in a break. We spent nearly seven hours on the beach. I've never had more fun at the ocean in my life.

2 comments:

MissManda said...

I awoke and did my morning exercises, then headed for a walk.


You. are. your. father's. son.

*collapses in a fit of giggles*

Glad you're having fun. Miss you lots.

Anonymous said...

We Love Perth! From the other side of Australia we came and never left! Love the beaches the water, the lackback lifestyle, the awesome northern coastline and attractions and of course the fishing... gotta love fishing, surfing and the beaches in Perth. Enjoy your stay. Jamie P.A.