Saturday, January 31, 2009

Rottnest Island

Originally, I was to venture to the southern part of the state with some people I met on the train. Due to lack of interest and communication though, this did not work out. Instead I have come to the small Indian Island paradise, Rottnest Island.
First discovered by the Dutch in the 1600's, it was named Rottnest or "Rat Nest" in Dutch, because of the local mascot, the Quokka, looks a bit like a giant rat. Many people know Rottnest as the famous mating grounds for the Osprey. It was virtually uninhabited until the 1840's when it became a prison for Aboriginal criminals. The prison closed around 1905 and became a holiday destination in 1910. During WW2, it was the main coastal defense for the Freemantle Port.

Many visit here everyday, though most seem to come for only day trips. The island has many holiday cottages that don't cost too much considering, but they are so popular that they need to booked at least a year in advance and that merely gets a person into a lottery.

Pretty much everyone brings a bike to get around. The island is not big, but after one day and 30km or walking, I wished I had taken Erin's offer to borrow her bike. People pretty much come here to enjoy the 60+ beaches around the island. I spent my three days walking around, occasionally stopping to swim and snorkel. It is a very laid back island, so I didn't "do" much.
I stayed at my first hostel, which seems like the best idea when travelling alone. I met many people from various places. I befriended a young South African woman and learned a lot about the country. I found some karaoke one night and got a tan (in the day, not at karaoke). I went for a history walking tour, but I was the only one to show up. It was only slightly awkward and I learned a bit. Overall, it was a great relaxing place to chill out for a couple of days.

No comments: