Friday, November 14, 2008

Victoria Markets


I just returned from my first excursion in Melbourne. We headed to the very famous, very touristy Victoria Markets. There was definitely no shortage of things to see and buy there. I left with nothing of course. There was a farmer's market, meat market, flea market, and various food stands that held my attention.

I was a little disappointed by the farmer's market. It wasn't bad by any means; there was quite a selection of very nice looking agricultural products. The big problem is I built myself up too much to see exotic things, those fruits and vegetables I've never imagined could exist and I wouldn't be able to find in the US. Unfortunately (of fortunately really), I've been living in the city too long to have not come across most of what there is to offer at these things. Everything there I could buy at the markets in Minneapolis. Though, they did have passion fruits, which are hard to find in the Midwest and are very expensive. I did not buy any though, silly me.

The meat market left with the same feel of unfullfillment. I wanted to buy kangaroo steaks, koala nuggets, or maybe some good snake, much like the one Croc. Dundee cooked for his lovely American princess. Alas, pork, beef, chicken, lamb was all I could find. I almost bought some choizo; no stores here have chorizo.

I was hoping to find some nice gifts for people at the flea market. There were a few interesting things and many of it was quite cheap. I just can't bring myself to buy the carbon copy souvenirs they sell at places like those. If I am going to buy something for someone, I want it to be a bit more unique. In the end, I typically settle for such things, but I always feel defeated once that happens.

Overall, I did find it be a pretty cool place. There were so many different things to buy in such small area. We ate some "American Style Jelly Doughnuts". They must have done a good job with the authenticity, because they tasted like normal, delicious doughnuts to me. In the square, a mariachi band was playing; this ranked highly on my list of things I'd least expect at an Australian flea market. Then again, maybe the whole mariachi/flea market combo is an international marriage. They were quite good. Instead of trumpets, they had Indian flutes, which I found to be a pleasant touch. They had more of a Spanish flamenco sound, but they were playing all the classic mariachi songs (Jess was quite horrified that I could even identify mariachi songs. I'm John's son, what can I say.). Overall, it has been a fun day. In a little bit, we shall go to eat at a Korean BBQ. Ah, how I've missed the multiculturalism of the city.

No comments: