Monday, November 10, 2008

Aussie Slang: A Do

Today I got to hear a brand new silly Aussie slang word. Unlike many Australian slang words, here is one that doesn't make any sense at all. No etymology is evident for this at all.

What would you think "a do" could be? My best guess would be it is a euphamism for sex. Alas, it is nothing so obvious. A do is a party.

This said, lets us all look upon our silly words for party:

Par-tay!
Shindig
Hoedown
Hootenany
Bender
Blender
Mixer

Well that is about all I could come with after thirty seconds of brainstorming. My brain is still mushy from a do I attended last night. Quick tip, don't try to keep up with Aussies, hangovers ensue.

1 comment:

aj burke said...

I want to hear about 'pash', which I think is just to kiss, or maybe make out a little? I have heard Aussies saying things like "She pashed him." I assume from the context that it is derived from the word passion. Is any of this correct? I love the idea of "passioning" someone - like inflicting passion on them! :-)