Saturday, November 8, 2008

Aussie Music: Yothu Yindi

Weeks ago, Jess, Pennie, her beau Mitch, and I were all watching the Aussie equivalent of MTV. Suddenly a music video popped on that instantly grabbed my attention. Of course I was the only one who had never seen it: apparently it was quite the Aussie phenomenon in the early 90's. It was a video for the remixed "Treaty" a highly political song by the Aboriginal band, Yothu Yindi. I felt this may be the greatest thing I had ever seen.

I won't lie, a large part of that was pure amusement. The antics of those crazy Native Australians is something completely novel for me, outside of didgeridoos, boomerangs, and those spinny string things that make that weird whooping noise. It is quite funny (in the good way!).

The band got its start from Midnight Oil, another band that I will have to write about later due the extremely contrasting levels of popularity between the two countries. Always very political, they were taken under the wings of Midnight Oil to help bring awareness to the plight of the Aboriginals.

The song is a mix of the late 80's rock of Midnight Oil and traditional aboriginal music, it was then remixed to fit with the contemporary dance music of 1992. (Imagine, Marky Mark and the not-so Funky face painted bunch....Again, the good funny.) Really, just watch the video, I can't describe the Awesome that is this song.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=BPYHVFvMiNY&feature=related

2 comments:

Paul said...

I'm glad you post things like this, I think. It should give me some insight as to who you are (after all, up until now it's been that you are a good eater, at least twice a year). But I'm not sure what I get about you out of this. I do remember Midnight Oil ("Nothing lost, nothing gained", I think?). I've never seen you dance, do I want to?

Anonymous said...

No, Parkfam, you do not want to experience the unmitigated embarassament of The Kid exhibiting his fantansy of rhythym. Some things are best left in the privacy of unwindowed walls. In fact, your question nearly led to a 9-1-1 call.