Friday, November 28, 2008

Light Switches

A seemingly insignificant detail that I've neglected to mention here in the blog has finally reached my consciousness. All the light switches here are reversed. In the US, to turn the switch on, you flip it up, and conversely, one flips it down to turn off. Australia is the exact opposite. I typically never give any thought at all to which way the switches switch, but I find myself staring at them now, having to think about whether I will be turning a light on or off. (Note: for the simple, single isolated switches, if the light is off, I know that any change in the switch p0sition will result in illumination. It is the groups of switches that give me trouble.) People here must find me daft the way I hit each one until the desired effect happens. Such simple things should not confuse an adult.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shit son!!! Sounds more complicated than it needs to be. I wonder if they have to be opposite because they are below the equator...? That logic was douchey, yes i know:-P