Saturday, November 29, 2008

New Job

Due to the global economic crisis, (I dare not use the "d" word, for that will just make it all worse, or so I hear) the need for four-star cuisine and top-notch service, given for barely affordable prices, has drastically ebbed. As a result, so have my hours. I therefore have been forced to find a second job. Not more than five minutes after such a thought came to my head, I magically saw an ad for an open position at a local pub.

I gave the woman a call, dropped off my resume, and had a brutally honest conversation about the nature of my availability during my holiday in Australia. I may be 10,000 miles from home, but I'm not about to tarnish my name anywhere in the world by getting a job through lies. The explanation that I will be taking a couple weeks off every month or so resulted in the expected reaction, disappointment. I offered to work as an emergency fill-in staff if needed and left expecting to get just that. Well, a lack of quality applicants has worked in my favor and I now have a second job.

I went back to my root and am cooking diner food for a nearby pub. Today is my first official shift, although I've already had two try-outs, one good, one bad for the job. Thankfully, the bad one was expected and did not deter them too much from hiring me. Wish me luck, because I'm on my own; my non-training is complete.

No comments: