Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Overland Track Chronicles Part Seven: Success, Failure, Rationalization, or Acceptance?


As I hiked 20km of random trails around the park the next day, unladen, clean, without pressure, I had lots of time to digest the last four days. This was a new experience for me; going out, setting a goal, taking steps to complete it, and failing. I've led quite a charmed, successful life. If I ever wanted to do anything, I just did it, no problems. It has taken me a while to realize that it isn't that I am particularly good at completing goals, I'm just good at choosing goals that I know I can complete.




Becoming an Eagle Scout, graduating from college with honors, successfully running a business, these are not small feats, but not really challenges for me. We all have strengths and weaknesses and the things with which I've had success play on my strengths. Other things, such as simply playing bass guitar for fun, compiling writing just to submit for publication, even jogging for ten minutes a day are difficult for me. My general strategy for dealing with potential challenges is not trying.

That is why this trip has been a success for me, because I started the hike.

In the past, I would have just stayed at that bus station, with no hit to my ego...."eh, the weather is too bad. I wasn't prepared enough. Going on that hike would have been a stupid move. People die up there!" And those thoughts would have been justified; they're all true statements. (I should also thank my father for the push as well.)


So no, I didn't finish the hike. Could I have finished and still caught my flight home? Maybe. I'm sure I could have finished the trip in six days and hitchhiked back to Launceston in time, but that's a stupid move. True be told, I was not prepared enough, especially once the snow fell. My sleeping bag was a death trap. I packed stupidly. Most of all, I learned that just because I'm the most fit out of all my friends does not actually make me fit. Especially not enough to complete a five-day mountain trek.





I'm not happy that I'm just doing day hikes around Cradle Mountain, instead of kicking back, admiring Lake St. Clair, but I'm much happier than I would have been sitting on a pile of expensive gear, watching the bus pull away.

I failed!

I went out there, attempted something I knew was hard, and got knocked on my ass. But guess what, at least for once in my life, I attempted something difficult for me. This is why I booked the trip to Tasmania in the first place. That's growth...right? Or is this just rationalization? Either way, I'll take it.

7 comments:

Paul said...

maybe you need to examine how you define failure.....

sharon said...

you were not a failure. you made an attempt, you gave it your best and you learned something. to quote the special olympic motto LET ME WIN< BUT IF I CANNOT WIN, LET MY BE BRAVE IN THE ATTEMPT. My son you are brave! I am so proud of you. mom

Frank and Sue said...

Hi Aaron,
Excellent posts on your Overland Track adventure. I really enjoyed your writing style and sense of humour! You had it pretty tough but got out OK. Others before you have not been so lucky.
I have used some of your words in a blog post about being prepared for anything when walking the OT. You may want to check it out! Hope you don't mind quoting you but I REALLY think people need to read of your experience and learn a few things before they head off in winter! The post is here: http://frankinoz.blogspot.com/2009/06/10-mistakes-not-to-make-doing-overland.html

If you are interested, very happy to send you a free copy of the Hiking the Overland Track eBook - email contact is on the front pahe of "Our Hiking Blog"

Cheers and enjoy Oz
Frank

Andrea said...

You are amazing, really. I would not have made it for as long as you did. You gave it a go and turned back when it got too dangerous. I'm so glad you didn't die on a mountain in Tazmania.

Unknown said...

Hey, I found you via the "Our hiking blog" site. I really appreciated your writing style.

I've done the Overland track, or parts of it and side trips, about five times... and I've been forced to turn back or amend plans three times: Once due to weather, once due to accident (I fell off a mountain in the snow), and once due to gastro.

The challenge is what keeps me coming back.

JFK said it well:
"[We choose these things], not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win".

Anonymous said...

I'm here from Frank and Sue's hiking blog and I've gone back and read everything from the day you landed here in Australia. I too enjoy your writing style, your humour and particularly your introspection. It is my big plan to hike the Overland Track in September but part of me has that fear of "what if I can't do it?" I will take your lesson to heart and just be glad I'll make the attempt.

Aaron's Assonant Adventures Abroad said...

Thank you. Just go for it! Try to be prepared as much as possible, but trust your body's ability to handle a lot. Most importantly, stay dry!