Saturday, June 27, 2009

Aussie Animals: Kookaburra


The kookaburra is another of Australia's iconic animals. It is not the bird itself, but its call that gives the kookaburra its fame. Often described as "lauging" their call is heard (mostly on the east coast), every sunup and sundown. It is an alarm, telling us all to wake up or eat dinner. Someone once told me that the kookaburra is widely respected, because it reminds us at the beginning and end of every day to recognize humanity's humility. I like this.


I've heard about the kookaburra, but it wasn't until I was in the country for six months that I first heard its odd call. I was in Bellingen, enjoying a glass of wine with my friend Donna, watching the sun set above the town's beautiful river and mountain. Suddenly I heard this "CACACACACACACA". I thought it was a monkey or something.
I turned to Donna with a confused look on my face, "You don't have monkeys in Australia, do you?"
"Um no."
"Then what the hell is that?"
"You don't know? That's the kookaburra!"
I was hoping for monkeys.

No comments: