Sunday, June 14, 2009

Birthday


My actual birthday was a bit uneventful, but I celebrated it the night before with some Launceston (Lonnie) locals; it became a late night, ending with trite philosophical discussions and cheap port.
My flight didn't leave Lonnie until seven the next evening. I spent most of my birthday touring the quaint river town of Lonnie and its nearby attraction, the spectacular Cataract Gorge. I walked miles through the canyon, listening to Arlo Guthrie, Gordon Lightfoot, and other light folk acts from the sixties and seventies. It was a great backdrop to the lovely scenery.

I arrived in Sydney around 10pm. For months, I built up this great birthday outing, soaking up Sydney's wild Tuesday night scene. Once the date arrived, I was far too tired to bother. Besides, I had a train to catch early the next morning.

I received my best birthday present of all the day I emerged from the mountain. My friend Sandy from Cairns randomly messaged me (warning me about the dangers of hiking in Tasmania in May), and invited me to spend some time with her seeing the Great Ocean Road and other sites in Southern Victoria. This was a very pleasant surprise.

So, my birthday celebrations were a bit subdued. They consisted of a Chinese dinner by myself; I was literally the only non-staff enjoying a 11:30 meal at the place. Even with such great staff to customer ratios, the service left a bit to be desired. I then used a coupon for a free beer I had sitting around and went to bed around one. I've given up on being social; I just don't care anymore.

No comments: