Saturday, June 27, 2009

Aussie Food: Cheese Slaw

Cheese Slaw is an odd food phenomenon. To say it is an Aussie food is a bit deceiving; it doesn't exist anywhere outside of Broken Hill. It is simple to makes and even though it sounds odd, it tastes very good. Many people from outside of Broken Hill go out of their way to eat a cheese slaw sandwich. They can just make it themselves. Below is recipe. Just try it out! The best way to eat it is on a toasted sandwich with chicken.

Cheese Slaw

Ingredients:
Cheddar Cheese
Shredded Carrot
Mayonnaise
Parsley

Mix together equal parts grated cheese and grated carrot with a large pinch of parsley. Stir the mayo into the cheese and carrot mixture until smooth. You can choose the amount of mayo you'd like, depending on your desired consistency.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dude! Talk about appreciating Broken Hill! Miss having my grandmother make that for me!

Anonymous said...

I was born and grew up in Broken Hill where I did my all my schooling, with regards to ‘cheese slaw’ to my recollection it was a staple sandwich filling at the Argent Milk Bar, run by Greek immigrants Stan Mitchell and his wife for many years until they sold and moved to Canberra. From the mid 60’s to 1970 I worked there on Friday Nights, Saturday Mornings and Sunday’s plus School Holidays whilst attending BHHS until gaining my HSC in 1970. I don’t think it was offered at any other Milk Bars in Broken Hill. I don’t know the actual ingredients but to my recollection in consisted of grated cheese, carrot, mayonnaise and parsley. Any one flying Qantas Airways back to Sydney around that period would have been served a selection of sandwiches made by the Argent Milk Bar that included a corner sandwich of Cheese Slaw.
Who am I?