Monday, June 1, 2009

First Sydney Night


I finally arrived at Sydney after nine months in Australia. Sydney will be the base of my travels for the next month. I checked into the hostel around 5PM, bought some food, made some dinner, then got dressed to see the town. The problem was that it was dark. Normally, I shy away from random nocturnal rambling of unknown urban centers, but the streets were filled with people everywhere, greatly reducing danger of the dangerous city streets. This is the odd truth of cities: smaller cities can be more dangerous than the massive metropolises. Large cities are packed with so many people all the time, it is harder to find yourself getting mugged, at least downtown.

My plan was to just walk down the street of my hostel until the people thinned out too much for me to feel safe. After a couple of kilometers, I thought, "what the hell, if it seems safe, I'll walk the four miles to get a quick snap of the famous Opera house and Harbour bridge all lit up at night!" The people never stopped and soon I found myself at the harbour's edge, surrounded by twenty or so like-minded individuals, snapping photos of the world famous landmarks.

I actually like Sydney quite a bit so far. The mix of old and new architecture reminds me a lot of Chicago. Sydney goes on forever, but still feels cool and chilled-out. I randomly ended up at a karaoke bar filled with old people. It wasn't really the type of place random out-of-towners stumble upon, I still had fun though.

1 comment:

Guthrie said...

Any chance you will attend the Sydney Opera House for a show with the Sydneysiders?