Thursday, March 5, 2009

Over-the-counter Narcotics

I've been suffering from a cold for four days. Normally, I just suck it up, drink honey and lemon spiked tea, gargle some salt water, and take it easy for a couple of days. Since I've been travelling though, I'm not so content with spending my precious days in bed. I resorted to over-the-counter medications. The first stuff I bought was finished in two days. I gobbled the pills down every four hours. Never underestimate the power of 100+ degree temperatures, no air conditioning and a cold to make one miserable. Even though I knew the cold was waning (it is easy to tell when it is recession), I feeling too terrible to brave another day cold turkey.

I stopped in a pharmacy here in Byron Bay, told my symptoms to the clerk and was given the best cold medicine for my particular cold. Whatever he gave me had the terrible fake-sudafed (it doesn't work!!), cause it only relieved my conjestion a little bit. There was something else in it though. I noticed it at first after an hour when I started feeling funny, high even. I started grinning and floated around for the next couple of hours...ah. Both Dayquill and its trace amounts of crack and Nyquil with it four shots of whiskey in a tiny little cap make me feel quite drugged out, but this stuff made we want to listen to Dark Side of the Moon.

I returned to my hostel, looked at the packaging and saw the mystery ingredient, Codine. Over-the-counter codine! What an amazing country! Sudafed is banned, so I'm stuck with sub-par nasal decongestants, but I'm allowed a narcotic painkiller without a prescription!?

Of course, one dose was all I needed before my cold let up. On second thought, I do feel a little sniffly. Maybe I'll just have another pill just in case. ;-)

No comments: