Friday, March 20, 2009

Brisbane Part 2

(good news, this is a current blog! Now you can see where I'm at in real time.)

Brisbane has not proven to be too much different than the first time I visited. Really, this is quite a boring city. I just don't like it much. On the plus side, it does have karaoke most days of the week.

These last few days, I've been hanging with an actual friend I met while in Mackay. Oh, how refreshing it is to spend time with somebody I already met. Nell thankfully has great tastes in movies, books, and music, so I've never been at a loss for things to discuss.

I went with her and her brother to the Gold Coast. We hit up an amusement park, but the lines were so long, we barely got to go on any rides. We really didn't do too much for the week. I spend some time with her and her friends Deeann and Aaron, both of whom were really fun. We watched a lot of movies.

Nell has proven to be a good friend with whom I really hope to continue keeping in contact after my travels are done. Since I will be traveling through her hometown of Mackay in a month or so, I'll get to see her again before I go home. Ah the the joys of an actual friendship, not just a filling time with someone else at a backpackers. Aussies are lots of fun and I'm glad to finally spend some time with a person that is more like my friends back at home.

It was a bittersweet visit. I'd like to take back my previous comments about not needing to spend time with real friends. Really, that was just a rationalization. Now spending a good week with somebody whose company I actually enjoy, I really how lonely i was. I'm writing this in the airport, waiting for my flight to Cairns and I'm quite sad. For the last month, I've had my blockers on, really not allowing myself to actually befriend anyone. What's the point anyway? And now I've finally let someone in, it is sad to think that I will probably see her only one more time in my life. This also makes me think of the the other friends I've made here as well. I may only see Jess, Jonathan, Em, Faith, Glen and others one more time in my life. This isn't even counting those I may never see again. I'm glad I will get to spend some time with Les and Sharon back in Broken Hill before I head home. Simply put though, I'm a bit unhappy at the moment. I guess I still have valuable lessons to learn on my travels.

No comments: