Thursday, March 19, 2009

Byron Bay

(Hello All! These next few posts are very very outdated, up to three weeks! Will try to catch up to my current situation soon.)
I love this little town. It is a beautiful subtropical surfer town just two hours south of Brisbane. It is completely surrounded by short green mountains. Once it was a hippie town, and still is in a way, but it is much more subdued these days. There is still a gypsy market selling all sorts of rugs and hemp goods and of course a drum circle. Even though 50% of the population is travelers, it doesn't feel too touristy. There is no McDonalds's, just a subway and lots of quaint markets and cafes. Overall, the general atmosphere of the town is chill.
On my first day, I got off the bus, checked into my hostel, then started searching for a job. I could tell in five minutes that I would want significantly more time here than the three nights I'd booked. I quickly made arrangement to book up a week here. In the end, I had to stay in four different hostels, one of which was in the nearby town of Nimbin; this place is that popular. Despite dropping off numerous resumes, I was unable to find a job.
The beach here is amazing. The texture of the sand is like flour! When you walk, it squeaks. So, many of my days were spent just squeaking around, watching surfers, swimmers, and beautiful sunbathers.
Past the beach is the Byron Bay lighthouse, which is located on a point that is the single most easterly place on mainland Australia. The view was amazing! The hike back goes through a small rainforest area. I enjoyed this 7km hike so much, I did it three times.
I would have loved to have stayed longer here, but everybody who comes here wishes to stay longer. It is not uncommon for people to come for a week and stay for six months. I can see why. So far, this has been my favorite place in the east.

No comments: