Friday, February 13, 2009

Last Day of the Tour

Our last day was another driving day. On the way to Broome, we played the game where everyone writes a compliment about everyone else on sheet of a paper, then we read them aloud to the group. I found it scary that many of mine had statements like, "the least-irritating American I've ever met" and "for once, a good American". Yikes!

We arrived it Broom around three in the afternoon. After a quick drive by tour of the town, Clark dropped us off at our hostel. Eline, Mirte, Frank and I hit the beach and had a wade. My streak of bad luck continued during this wade. Mirte had disappeared to talk to her boyfriend on the friend, but we wanted to go to the beach. I agreed to bring my phone so we could give her a call and tell her what's up. On the way there, we found her, so I didn't even need my phone. Therefore, it was forgotten, the sole object in my pocket during my dip in the ocean. After a couple minutes, it started vibrating continuously in my pocket. I removed the battery and left it out to dry, in hope this would save its life. Unfortunately, during the night, the battery disappeared completely. A week later when I took it to the shop, it was dead. I had to buy a new one.

That night, we all met up for dinner and a party afterwards with the whole group. The tour was wonderful and worth every cent. I signed on to see the sights of Western Australia, but that easily took second place to the people on the tour. I've met so many wonderful friends on this trip, so really, it was the socializing that was the highlight. I met Eline and Mirte, two amazingly fun and beautiful Dutch women who I plan to rent a van with on the east coast later in the year. I also met Reelika, Frank, Steve, Catherine, and many others who I hope to keep in contact with long after this trip. Thank you facebook!

No comments: