Sunday, February 22, 2009

The City

After months of living in either rural or semi-urban communities, I realized during my visit to Brisbane a truth about myself: I've outgrown the city. Clara City and its tiny, boring atmosphere killed much of my love for small towns for a while. The move to Minneapolis was exhilarating. There was always activity, life, and noise. I went to next level when I started working and thriving in the incredibly fast-paced downtown environment. Now, I am a high energy person and I love the stress and constant distractions of the city. I am beginning to see at being too much.

What I would love to find is a happy medium between the two extremes. Something relaxed, quiet, but with a job that is stimulating. This is not a calling for the soulless suburban life, commuting to the city for a ride in the rat race. I would like to live in a small city, between 100,000-200,000 in population. A place with all the opportunities of the city, but with a quiet, closer to rural atmosphere. Sure, I'll miss the access to exotic cooking ingredients and mysterious ethnic foods. I will miss knowing that there is always a bar or a store open if I ever get the whim at 2:00 AM to do something (Although, I can count on one hand the number of times I've had that whim in my seven years of city residency.) I won't miss the sirens, high crime rates, and annoying confinement to the sidewalk. Maybe this is a part of being older. At a certain age, the city must just lose its appeal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A SMALL CITY? 100,000? I guess Iam getting old. WOW