Friday, February 13, 2009

Broome


Broome is a penninsular city in the northern corner of Western Australia. It marks the entrance to the Kimberly region, the wild river country of Australia's Northwest. To those who've seen the film Australia, this is where it takes place. Broome was set up as a pearl diving town adn was one of the only places in Australia attacked by the Japanese during World War 2. It is quite small, only 15,000 people, and most of the money comes from pearls and tourism.
Broome itself is a beautiful relaxed tropical town, but there is not a wealth of things to see, especially during the wet season. The main draw of the town is the world famous Cable Beach. In my life, I've seen some beautiful beaches, especially in the last ten days, but this one may be the prettiest. The sand is fine as corn meal and totally white. The beach stretches for ten miles. Most of the days were low tide, leaving meters of sand stretching into the vast Indian Ocean. This is considered one of the world's greatest places to see the sunset. The most famous activity is to ride a camel across the beach as the sun dips into the sea. I elected not to ride a camel because of my shoulder, but now I wish I had. Sadly, I only had a chance to view one sunset while I was there, and honestly it was a disappointing one. Don't get me wrong, it was incredible, but there weren't enough clouds to really make the colors pop. The previous night, from the taxi, we saw the sun set over land and it was breathtaking! I wished I was on the beach that night.
I didn't do too much but enjoy the company of my tour friends. I still had a fun time though. Even though it was only ten days, I'm really going to miss some my new friends. Thankfully, I have plans to meet up with Frank, Eline, and Mirte later on the east coast. I'm in the air now, heading back to Perth and onward.
Western Australia was amazing! I really wish I had given myself more than three weeks here. Yes, I know that I've seen so little of the country and the rest could be great too, but I can tell that Western Australia is someplace special. Seriously, come here! You will not be disappointed. If I get too bored out east, I guess I could come back.

No comments: