Thursday, February 12, 2009

Day Eight

It was still unclear when we woke if it was to rain again or not. We had hit most of the lookouts already and everything else required no rain. Our backup plan was to head to the only town within 200 miles, Tom Price and tour a mine. I slept decently that night, using the bag from a box of wine as a pillow (a backpacker classic). Sleeping has been a struggle since my injury. Lying flat on the back is the only position that does not induce much pain, but I've yet to find a way to sleep that does not aggravate my shoulder. Also, the knot from my sling is right in the center of my back, so it constantly digs in. Let's just say that I've been admiring the various ceilings we've come across in the trip. Last night though, I did get some sleep. I had a warm cup of coffee and for the first time on the tour, a hot breakfast of bacon and eggs. I was feeling so great, a mine tour was sounding wonderful!
Clark and Dave called the park center to check on the conditions. Rain was still in the forecast, so it was highly recommended that we do not descend the gorge. There wasn't an rain for hours, so we couldn't be forced to not descend the gorge either. Any guess as to what our decision was?

We drove to Tom Price for the mine tour. The idea of imminent death from flash floods was too much to handle...

...In reality though, we descended the gorgeous gorges and hiked to a few nearby spring pools and waterfalls. The water was perfect, but quite deep and red form all the rain. I sat on the dock of one, feet dangling in the water, watching everyone swim and hang out under a gentle waterfall. Looking back, it was probably a bad idea, but I paid good money for this tour and I was not about to not have fun. I slipped into the water and backwards leg-paddled myself to the waterfall. My sling had already been soaked in the previous day's rainfall, so I was not too afraid of getting it wet anymore. It was fresh water after all. Thankfully, I did not hurt myself in the swim and the water was fantastic! It did stain my swim trunk lining red though.


Most of the day was spent hiking the bottom of the gorge, stopping occasionally to swim in a pool. I even drank so delicious spring water! It never rained the whole day, so there were no accidental deaths by flash flood.
That night, we had a euchre tournament that didn't work too well from either lack of light or excessive mayflies. A few people lost interest after twenty minutes of explaining the game. Since I was well rested, I slept under the stars with Eline, Mirte, Steve, Frank, and Anne. The sky was magnificent, there was no light pollution at all in the secluded park. We all talked and wished on the shooting stars until our eyes were too heavy to keep open.
Thanks to Catherine and Mirte for the photos.

No comments: