Monday, September 22, 2008

Travelling to Australia

If you ever feel the need/desire to make the trip from the United States to Australia, here is what to expect:


Most flights depart late in the evening in order to arrive early the next morning...two day later. I never got to experience September 18, 2008. It will be a day forever lost. Fortunately, on my return, I shall get to experience some shifty time traveling and live one day twice. Sadly, that whole day will be spent traveling anyway, so there will be no second chances to right any mistakes I've may make; as far as I am concerned, they can keep it.


My three by four foot prison was decently comfortable. May I suggest flying non-American airlines: the service is outstanding. I had my own television with 83 movies, a hundred or so episodes of popular television programs, video games, and an eclectic collection of music to keep me occupied. They served two meals with coffee, tea, and complimentary New Zealand wines. I had barely finished three quarters of glass before a wide-smiled Kiwi topped it off. I can only fantasize what the business class was like.


The first flight lasted about twelve hours, which is apparently a short Pacific flight. How long exactly is twelve hours in a three by four foot box? I read some of my book, had a lovely dinner of some cheese and crackers, watched three movies, and realized that I had barely gone through half my flight. Sleeping was not an option for me. Australia is about 14 hours ahead, so any sleep would just keep me stuck on a US time schedule. I still did sneak an hour nap. Breakfast was served with my choice of tea, coffee, juice, or whiskey. I chose the first option, but my thriftiness and claustrophobia made me think for moment about the whiskey.


After a short layover in Auckland, I caught another flight, a mere six hour puddle jump, to Adelaide. This second flight was partially spent sleeping because it was the middle of the night where I was headed.


The whole trip from Denver to Australia was one of the longest 24 hours of my life. I landed around ten in morning, but I couldn't go to bed for another twelve hours. Before departing from Denver I was already up for a whole day, so I had to spend about two hour days more or less awake. Consciousness left me the moment my head hit the pillow. I had two whole days worth of sleep to make up; I was wide awake by three in the morning.

2 comments:

Guthrie said...

Good to know you made it across the pond and over the puddle to Adelaide. Keep it up.

Plant Person said...

Keep blogging, I need to hear about Austrailia vicariously - never be able to stand the 24 hrs in prison! Barely made to Europe and back.