Tuesday, September 23, 2008

First Day in Australia

My first day in Australia was quite action packed. My flight arrived into Adelaide around 10 AM. I was greeted by Jessica’s family and immediately had a cup of tea. The weather was beautiful; actually, it was identical to what I had just left in Colorado. It was as if I had gotten on few planes, traveled for 24 hours, then arrived right back where I started. I noticed right away though that the sunlight was significantly more direct; my skin started burning in just a few minutes out in the sun. Sun block will have to be my best friend, cause when you are as pale as Pop’n’fresh, skin cancer is a constant threat.

After our tea, we went to the oceanfront and had a lunch of Fish and Chips on the beach. (Actually, I’m not much of a fan of fish, so I had fried prawns (shrimp to the damn yanks) and calamari.) It was delicious!

We then headed back to the rental cottage, had a cup of tea and headed to a restaurant for dinner. I had a few beers and an interesting fusion dish. There was barbequed chicken breast with Indian seasonings, served over mashed pumpkin with a yogurt sauce. Pumpkin seems to be a staple of Australian cuisine; I’ve seen it almost as much as potatoes since I’ve been here.

At the dinner, I had a chance to meet a good chunk of Jess’s family. They seem like really great people. In general, the Aussies are very boisterous and friendly. Many people in the restaurant were standing around chatting while their food was being prepared and not sitting until dinner was served.

I ended the evening with a cup of tea then headed to bed.

I woke up five hours later, ready for lunch!

1 comment:

Plant Person said...

Where are the food pictures? Max and Della always show pictures of the delicious food.