Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Perfect Day

One thing that I love about perfect days is the forms such a thing can take. This varies from person to person and within each person, there are variations based on times and mood. Today, I had my personal favorite variety of a perfect day: the productive day.

I awoke at 10AM (hey, I worked until two in the morning last night!). The air of my bedroom was chilly, but not frigid. After turning off my alarm clock, I reached six inches to the left and grabbed my book. I sat in bed and read a chapter, enjoying the warmth of my three quilt cocoon. I couldn't justify sitting in bed too long, I had a list of things to do!

I followed a set of push ups with a cup of ultra strong coffee and a banana. I didn't dilly dally too long though; my laundry beckoned! Starting some washing was not my only required task for the day. There was a big bowl of chopped apples and pears, floating in a pool of lemon water, just waiting to be turned into chutney. With Dvorak's Fourth symphony, I made up a chutney recipe based on what I though chutney was supposed to taste like. Basically, I mixed my fruit with cider vinegar and brown sugar, then added not-so-random vegetables and seasonings. It smelled good at least.

With the chutney simmering, the steam did two amazing things to my house. It raised the temperature of house by twenty degrees (who says one can't live comfortably with a broken furnace) and it made the whole house smell like India...or rather Indian cooking, not fecal matter. I did a long workout then followed it with an hour of yoga and some meditation.

I then continued the meditation by cleaning the bathroom, emptying the litter box, and vacuuming the house. By this point, the random fruit and veggies had become chutney-like. I switched to Dvorak's First Symphony and start canning. This did not take long.

Now, I am sitting back, doing yet another meditative act, writing, listening to Frank Zappa with pfft of each jar sealing in the background. Life is good, especially when things get done.

No comments: