Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Music Mondays: Omnio by In The Woods...

I've decided that I need assignments to keep blogging on a regular basis. So, I am introducing music mondays. I'd like to improve my journalism skills a bit, so this is an exercise in objective reviewing of music. Every Monday, I will review a CD that I particularly like as a chance to practice this type of writing and let you the readers see into my expansive musical tastes. Also, as a companion, I will be doing Film Fridays and maybe a book day as well. So, I will start with a random bit of obscurity from my collection to kick off Music Monday (yes, I know that today is in fact Tuesday...shut up.)

In the Woods... - Omnio
Omnio, the second album by Norway's enigmatic In the Woods... stands as one of the greatest metal albums of all time. Released in 1997, predating both Lacuna Coil and Evenescence, it was one of first albums to mix gothic metal and the lush female operatic vocals that became so popular around 2000. The album is a bit of an anomaly, In the Woods... started as a black metal band and Omnio in some ways can be considered a black metal album. No, there is no screaming or distant symphonic guitars of the genre, but it still has a black metal edge.

This also is may be one of the most pretentious albums of all time. Mixing together the beautiful, atmospheric prog rock of Pink Floyd with the crunching guitars of black metal, this is the epitome of epic. The 15 minute first track "299.796 Km/s"
opens with a lovely string quartet section, eventually adding harmonizing guitars, sweet harmonizing male and female vocals. Drifting in and out of textured prog and pounding metal, it is a dizzying listen that sets the tone for this five song album. It is not for everyone; metal fans may be offput by the non-metalness of it all and prog fans may find the Black Metal edge a bit too harsh, and everyone will find it to be stupidly artsy. That said, it cannot be denied that this is a gorgeous gothic masterpiece that can be at least respected by all. A must for fans of Evenescene, Lacuna Coil, Pink Floyd, or Emperor. Take the time to hunt down this hard to find gem in the metal section of your local record store.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you very much!