Monday, September 7, 2009

Job Hunt

I knew that finding a job would be hard in our current financial climate. Many of my friends are either unemployed or trapped in jobs they hate because nothing better materializes. I decided that my best bet was to divorce myself from the idea of finding the job. I plan to go to Asia in about a year, so finding a career path job was not a priority. I just wanted something to pay the bills that I could potentially enjoy. In fact, I really wanted to do something that I've never done or planned to never do. So I got a generic resume together and hit the craigslist.

I tossed around being a baggage handler...which wouldn't be too bad, because I wouldn't need to spend extra time working out and I could fly places for free. I applied to be a psychiatric associate at a mental hospital, a file clerk for the Star Tribune, a reviewer of 1970's rock albums at $5 a piece, tried to pick up a commission for a film script, and applied to be a booking agent for local rock bands. I applied for about 20 or so jobs in all. Of course, it was only the food service related work that got back to me and only one materialized into an interview.

'Twas the Chatterbox pub, a local hangout in my neighborhood that is quite popular and "hip". The interview went well, especially since the district manager was the protegee of my old district manager at Cosi. We swapped Dave stories for a while and it went pretty well. I was hired a few days later. So, looks I shall be a server now, which is much more awesome than it sounds. The restaurant is really fun, encourages us to act crazy and wacky (which do the opposite is a real challenge for me), plus, I may be making more money than I was as a manager. Crazy. I'm glad it only took me a month to find a job.

1 comment:

Ryan Rodgers said...

Glad you found some work...