Friday, August 14, 2009

Marlborough


The Marlborough region lies on the Northeastern corner of the South Island. This area is most famous for producing the world's finest Sauvignon Blancs and I have found this to quite true. I didn't even like the damned grape until I tried the New Zealand variety.

Kairkoura on the southern end of the region is a popular tourist destination. Whales are often seen right off the coast (I didn't see one). It is also home to the rare hector dolphins and lots of fur seals. For those with the money to spend, there are many wildlife tours offered in the area.

It was one of the most beautiful place I've seen on my trip. The snow capped mountains rise right out of the ocean, which is an amazing sight. I took a lovely three hour walk around the area, soaking in the views, the lovely weather, and seeing lot of seals. They may be one of the cutest creatures on this earth, but man do they stink! I was very glad I came here; it wasn't on my original itinerary, but it turned out be one of the highlights.

I headed next to Blenheim, the Sauv Blanc capital. I was only able to hit two vineyards before closing time; they shut early in the winter. I was thankfully able to taste three or four wines that I really couldn't afford to purchase. The Pinot Noir and Reisling in the area are also quite amazing. Blenheim was a boring town overall though. It was mostly a town for backpackers to live and work on the vineyards and yuppies who love to add fictional overtones to grape juice.

My South Island experience ended in Picton (which the Kiwis pronounced as "Pectin"). I arrived a few hours before the departure of the ferry, so I took an incredibly scenic stroll to one of the points in the sounds. This area is rarely mentioned as a great place to visit, but I found it to be beautiful.

I boarded the "Pectin" ferry, which I was sad to find was not filled with jam. The ferry ride itself was its own destination. It was huge boat with cafes, two cinemas, a food court, a bar with live music, and lots of lounge areas to relax, read and enjoy the views.

No comments: