Thursday, August 20, 2009

First American Meal

Well, after being in Australia for a year, there have been many great foods that I've either had to live without or accept in more inferior forms. The list of things that I was craving from the states was huge...the question remained, which of these long lost food items would comprise my first, symbolic meal back in the United States? What would be that thing that I'll always remember as the first food I decided to eat after a year away?

The choice was simple; I'd been thinking about it and craving it for days before my flight. I wanted nothing fancy. I didn't even want something good. I wanted Taco Bell.

Australia doesn't have taco bell, they have every other fast food restaurant, but there is no love for the border, maybe because they don't have borders. So, I wanted something slathered in the mysteriously named Baja Sauce. I wanted to eat an item such as a Crunch Wrap Supreme, with a name so silly, it has to be delicious. I wanted to squirt one small packet of Hot, one of Fire, and one of Mild in my mouth at the same time and swish it like mouthwash as I read the not-so witty comments on the packets. I wanted to taste grade F meat, so low quality, the Veterinary Association of America won't allow it in dog food, then wash it down with Mountain Dew's Baja Blast, a soft drink so unremarkable, it's only available at a classy joint like Taco Bell. And I wanted to do it for exactly $4.32...a goal easily accomplished. Thank you Taco Bell.

Next stop: White Castle

1 comment:

ExtraPaleMale said...

lmfao. hot sauce mouthwash. baja love to you, senor.