Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Hungarian Food: Langos


One Hungarian dish that everybody should try when they visit Central or Eastern Europe is langos (pronounced lahn-gosh, with a long o sound).  It is nothing fancy, merely flatbread that is either deep fried or baked in a brick oven (typically, the former)  For those in the United States, it is quite similar to Indian Fry-bread, having the same simple, slightly sour flavour.  Most of the time it is served, covered in garlic butter, sour cream, and cheese to make a Hungarian version of the flatbread pizza.  Apparently, many eat it with ham, corn, potatoes or a variety of other toppings, but I most often see people chowing on the cheese/sour cream version.  There are langos stands everywhere; it appears to rank third in fast food hierarchy, after pizza and gyros.  A langos vender across the street, whose restaurant is simply a 3ft wide window before a kitchen, just big enough for the cook, has a constant flow of customers.  His sign is so faded, if one didn't see him sling such an incomprehensible number of flatbreads, nobody would know what he sells.  I didn't have a clue for weeks, until I approached his tiny shop and saw the handwritten menu posted to his window.  Just last week, I tried his langos, which was fluffy and delicious, dripping with garlicky butter, layered in two centimetres of cheese (I've found myself to be a bit lactose intolerant as of late, so I omitted the sour cream, but accepted the hit from the cheese).  It was a cheap treat (costing about a buck-fitty) and I could understand its popularity.  Though, it struck with a vengeance a few hours later.  I don't really eat fried food any more so I found myself with a terrible case of heart burn and the cheese gave me a stomach ache, but it's a small price to pay for a little decadence.

1 comment:

driveway paving said...

Mmmmmmmmmmm
yummy, looks ands sounds divine!!
driveways essex