Monday, May 9, 2011

Letter to the India Board of Tourism

To whom it may concern:

I didn't know exactly to whom to write this, but I hope it finds itself in the right hands. My name is Aaron White and I recently visited your large nation for seven weeks from the beginning of December until the end of January, right in the heart of winter.

Fresh off an amazing two months in Nepal, I arrived in India quite excited about my time, planning to visit Sikkim before traveling across the North to Amritsar and back. Many people had told me stories not only of the hardships of traveling India, but also the rewards; I understood some of this from my time in Nepal and I felt ready to tackle the culture of India.

My first stop was Darjeeling and Sikkim. I noticed the great kindheartedness of the Indian people. Ethnically, the people were quite similar to the Nepalis, comprised of a mix of Hindu and Tibetan cultures. Everyone I met was amazing; locals would befriend me in a moment. They were so welcoming. I then headed down to Kolkata which I also loved. The Bengalis lived with such zest and passion, it was hard to not feel it as well. I formed a strong positive impression of India and I failed to see why so many people couldn't handle it. Yes, even in the first nine days, I had moments where I lost my cool. It is easy with lack of sleep; I'm sure you understand.

Place after place, I met more wonderful people and saw a little bit of the more negative sides of the culture. In Varanasi, I was assaulted by two men who claimed, falsely that I had photographed the burning of bodies. I defused the situation, but it left me shaken. It was so confusing to see such utter dishonesty and love all at the same time. It was not until I entered the “Golden Triangle” that I really saw why so many people hate the country.

Agra was horrible, there was no break from the hassling. Delhi was worse; I've never hated a place in my life more than Delhi.

This letter is getting quite rambling, I understand. If you are still with me, I would like to get to the main purpose of this letter. I would like to file a formal complaint to the Indian Tourism Board. Despite all the wonderful experiences I had, I was not completely satisfied, especially with the service of your country's workforce. Your employees do not have proper understanding of Western culture and how to deal with us on a business end. I am not so narcissistic to believe that you should cater to our culture and not the other way around, when it is we, who are the visitors, but I feel that with a slight change of approach, you could in the long run make more money for your business. Why am I writing this? Well, I see some real potential in your country and hope that you can improve on your business. I am not going to ask for a refund, but I may not return again unless some things change. So, I would like to leave you with some points to consider:

-No, Thank You, I do not need a rickshaw, I'm fine walking.

-Please refrain from calling me friend for the sole purpose of gaining my trust, this is a title reserved for people who at least know my name.

-Swiftly demolish the Pahar Gange area of Delhi immediately.

-No, I don't need a rickshaw! If I need one, I'll wave you down.

-If make a bowel movement into a bowl and try to sell it for 100 rupees, then cut the price 50%, then continually lower until I am selling it at a 75% discount, only 25 rupees, is this still considered a good price?

-When a customer says yes, quit selling your product. Further selling shows a lack of confidence.
-
I'm not ignoring you because I don't see or hear you, I'm ignoring you because I DON'T WANT A RICKSHAW!!!

Sincerely:
Aaron White

4 comments:

ExtraPaleMale said...

HA! Classic restrained anger. You gotta let it out man!

Anonymous said...

I came upon this blog entirely by accident, and after reading a couple of early posts ended up wishing that its author truly had "died from eating weird food". I'm dismayed to find that he hasn't. But I suppose there's still hope.

Aaron Sutherland said...

How can one send you an email personally, Aaron?

Aaron's Assonant Adventures Abroad said...

Mr. Sutherland, for what purpose would you want my personal email? I need to know before I disclose.