Thursday, February 3, 2011

Absence of Blogging: An Explanation

Well, this is going to break the continuity of the blog posting thus far. Right now, I am in a secluded bay on Koh Phangan island in Southern Thailand. I've been here for a week and a half and based upon a chance exercise, I will be staying here for two more weeks. This is not an economically viable route to take; everyday I spend here is one day less I can spend someplace else, but this is precisely the point. Once in Thailand, after nearly five months of full on sightseeing and constant moving, I hit an emotional wall and crashed. Not an explosive depressive hole type crash, but more of an existential crisis. I realized that I was traveling to collect pictures, to write about many places, but not to just experience a special type of living. My concentration was so focused on where I was going, that I didn't take the time to experience where I was. One foot was in the present, one in the future, but both never planted in the same place. So now, I throwing it all behind me; I have to learn to think about what I am doing and seeing, not what I might be missing. Hopefully, this staying put exercise will have some greater applications in my overall life. If one does not learn from traveling, why leave home? And up to this point, I learned nothing about myself, had no great life lessons.

So, why am I explaining what sounds like a perfect opportunity to catch up on my blog. Well, being in a secluded bay, internet is damned expensive and I can't afford to spend a dollar every ten minutes just to type something that really isn't going anywhere, barring a freak fire accident involving my many notebooks. I appologize to my reader for not taking you with me for the last couple weeks and the next couple of weeks as well. By the middle of February, I'll be back and you can hear the rest of my adventures in India and the fleshy, whiny, wordy details of my existential crisis; promised to be a fun filled philosophical journey. :-)

Cheers,
Aaron

1 comment:

ExtraPaleMale said...

You've broken the silence! Good to hear you're alright, and I hope Thailand helps you find what you're looking for man. Even if you aren't learning much about yourself, I'm learning by reading. From food to rickshaws to Buddha's Tree, your trip has covered a lot of ground. It's a good thing you're stopping a while to reflect. Your lessons may catch up to you.