Saturday, January 8, 2011

Newari Food

While in Kathmandu, I fell in love with Newari food, cuisine of the Kathmandu Valley's inhabitants. General Nepali food is not really worthy of being called a cuisine. Don't get me wrong, I love dal bhat as you all know, but it is more hearty than inspiring and too easy to break down. Newari food is different; it's spicy, complex and bursts with new flavors that made me want to run to a kitchen to try it out.

The staple is chuira or chewra, also known as beaten rice. It is half cooked, then flattened and dried. Often, there is a dish of legumes. I've seen peanuts or bhatamas (soy beans), in a spicy sauce. Ginger, garlic and chili are the primary flavors. Fried meat in caked spices, called choela is delicious. Most thalis also come with a salad of tomatoes, potatoes and capsicum. Eggs, most of the time boiled are a common protein. Most dishes are fresh and cold. The crunchy mix of the vegetables, meats, nuts, and chewra is a wonderful medley of textures and tastes. I ate loads of it while in Kathmandu, and it is definitely a food highlight of my trip.

No comments: