Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Pokhara during Deepwali

I spent a few more days in Pokhara, which seemed like a nice enough town. I didn't do too much outside of read, write, visit internet cafes, and people watch at the various cafes, in general, the greatest pastime in Pokhara. The lakeside district is filled with cute cafes, restaurants, and bars, most are pretty interchangeable, but pleasant. This was especially fun because I arrived during the festival of lights, the second biggest in Nepal. Builds were strung with lights on the houses and candles were burned in line on the walks so the god of wealth would be able to find his way. The children particularly seem to love it, dancing costumed in the streets to loud sound systems, pumping music every few feet. Many kids group together, singing this one song, which is more like a chant, until the store patrons or restaurant owners give them money or food with incense as a offer to the gods.

I saw lots of dancing since I relocated to the far North end of Lakeside, away from the all the people. Since the restaurants and particularly the internet cafes were a ten minute walk away through more residential areas, I saw many a reveler.

Somehow, I managed to spend an inconceivable amount of money in a few short days, so I needed to go to more places that didn't involve much internet or computer time. On the plus side, I was able to upload all of my China photos and updated my blog to the start of the hike, though typing my hiking blog will be a long process.

I planned to leave Sunday morning, main celebratory day of the festival, for Tansen, about five hours south, but the buses were rumored to be sporadic and the nagging cough I'd had for a week finally evolved into a real nasty cold. Instead, I napped and read most of the day, made one afternoon excursion and tried to get my rest amongst a city that was in full party mode.

No comments: