Sunday, October 3, 2010

Langmusi

I only spent 24 hours in the charming Tibetan village of Langmusi. The people were friendly and the countryside was gorgeous. Everywhere was endless rolling green hills, only interrupted by sporatic outcroppings of mountains.

The town's economy is entirely sustained by tourism. Though home to a small, yet cute monestary and a nearly 100% Tibetan population, much of the town's charms seemed like a similacrum. Any yak product imaginable and random jewlery were at every storefront.

The real joy of Langmusi is its hiking and horse treks. Five minutes walk in any direction and you are out of town and in the mountains.

I was still a bit sick when I reached Langmusi. Plus the elevation was around 3000m, so I didn't have too much stamina for any major hikes like I would have wanted, but I still walked up the White Dragon River through a gorgeous mountain gorge for a couple of hours. I wish I had given myself another day here since I was feeling much better the next day.

No comments: