Monday, July 27, 2009

Haast Pass


A vast mountain range runs down the entire middle of the South Island. Any excursions from the narrow west coast to the rolling hills of the East must include taking a mountain pass. I was heading from Haast to Wanaka, so my route was through the Haast Pass.


It was a lovely road that wasn't too steep at all. I was expecting it to be a bit more treacherous since it had been closed for the last week due to excessive snow and ice. It was completely clear for my drive. The pass has many little walks to various waterfalls and lookouts, so the short 100km drive can easily fill a whole day.


I kept bumping into these two Aussie women on the trails. At some point, we decided that we should just form a little hiking group. As the afternoon set in, so did the clouds. We were on a steep uphill trail to a pointless cloudy lookout. We gave up after a point and instead decided to make snow angels and a snowman. The Aussies were quite impressed by the proficiency for both activities. "Wow, your snow angel actually looks like an angel!" I had to teach them the ways of the snow. It was a fun day.

No comments: