Monday, May 11, 2009

Mackay Again...again

I wasn't about to pass through Mackay again without making another stop. Due to time constraints, my last visit to Mackay left me with only a few moments to spend with Faith and Glen. Nell organized a little bonfire at her farm that was quite fun and gave me a bit more time with my friends.

My second stay at the sugar plantation was even less eventful than the first. Nell attended a circus with her mother, so her father, Guy, and I hung out and listened to old comedy LP's. He later showed me his dizzingly huge collection of model aircrafts, sitting the boxes, waiting to be built and painted. I wasn't able to count, but I'm sure there were at least 1,000 boxes in the 15 or so steel cupboards in the lower part of his Queenslander home.

The next day, Nell and I spent an uncomfortable time together at the a nearby beach. It is funny how last days together are never crazy and fun, trying to pack in as much as one can in the scant few hours left. Instead, they are mostly awkward and sad. Nell is one of the best friends I've made on my trip and I was honestly a bit choked up as I boarded the bus out of Mackay forever.

No comments: