Thursday, June 17, 2010

Annapurna Circut vs. Everest Base Camp

I'm in the current process of planning my trip to Asia. One of the main highlights and primary reason for going is to see the Himalayas in one of Nepal's spectacular treks. Since this is only going to be a portion of a longer trip, bringing larges amounts of trekking gear is silly. This will thankfully not be a problem because of the highly developed trekking infrastructure of Nepal. With most of the most popular treks going through either small villages or lodge towns, there is indoor accommodation and food for the entire time. This is called "teahouse trekking"; though not as rustic, it is easier and safer since I'll be in the Himalayas.

I'm am stuck between the two most popular treks, the Annapurna Circut Trek or the Everest Base Camp Trek. Both are ranked among the worlds best walks. My research shows that Annapurna has better scenery and is more of cultural experience since it goes through so many villages. The Everest hike is also very scenic and climaxes with a view of the world's highest mountain.

Whichever one I do, I need to start training now, that means at least 30 minutes of cardio a day, which is not too bad of deal; it'll get me in better shape and get me outside.

No comments: